The Pontano Chapel is the small grey building at the western end of Via Tribunali in the historic center of the city (#37 on the map of the historic center). The perfect classic Roman design is attributed to Giocondo da Verona and was built in 1492 by Giovanni Pontano to be a family chapel.
Pontano (1426-1503) was
the most celebrated Neapolitan humanist of the day, a
friend of the sovereign of Naples, Alfonso the
Magnanimous, and, indeed, tutor of the king's sons. He
was important as a diplomat for the Aragonese in Naples,
but his claim upon history is as a poet and scholar.
Pontano is often referred to as the last great poet in
the Latin language. He founded in Naples what was called
"The Academy" —a meeting place for the erudite. The
Academy was influential among men of letters not only in
the Kingdom of Naples, but elsewhere in Italy.
Subsequently it became known as the Pontanian Academy,
and its influence lasted well beyond the lifetime of the
founder. (Pontano is the author of
De Principe, a well-know example of Speculum literature from the