The Old Royal Granary built by the Bourbons
The Granary (Palazzo
dei Granili) was located on via Reggia di
Portici; that is, the road that led (and still
leads) out of the city in the direction of Vesuvius to the Royal Palace of Portici. It was
built at a point that today is dreary, undistinguished
and indistinguishable from the rest of the vast eastern
commercial port facilities of Naples, about 3 km (2
miles) from the
main train station. Construction started in 1779 under
the direction of architect Ferdinando Fuga, As noted in
the entry on him at this link,
Fuga moved to Naples where he and Luigi Vanvitelli became the new royal architects for Charles III. The king was about to embark on a massive building campaign for Naples. Vanvitelli was ideally suited for that which was regal...and Fuga was to be the architect for the great public works projects that the king had in mind.
The granary was typical of Fuga's designs
—very big and very functional. Unlike some his works
that still stand —the Albergo
dei Poveri (the Royal Poorhouse), for
example— the granary is gone.
The Granili was built to store
grain and other foodstuffs. Like Fuga's Albergo dei Poveri,
it was gargantuan; it was Pompeian red and stretched along
the coast east of Naples for 560 meters; it was 30
meters tall with 87
window spaces to each of the four floors. It was plain
and boringly symmetrical without even the hint of any
leftover Baroque doo-dads that one finds in his Albergo.
But, after all, it was meant to hold grain, not people.
The finished building appears on the Rizzi Zannoni
map of the city*(see note) from 1790 (image, above, right) so we
know that it was finished by that year. It is considered
to have been a precursor of modern industrial design.
(In the image, it is the long rectangular
sliver in the upper right-hand corner, right on the
Whatever it was, it was too big, the source of
its initial problems. There were simply not enough takers
willing to store the fruits
of their harvest in these seemingly endless rows
of storage spaces. It was soon put to other uses—a factory
to make artillery pieces and ship rigging and then a prison to
hold the revolutionaries from the short-lived Neapolitan
Republic of 1799. Under the rule of king Gioacchino
Murat in 1809, the building was declared a barracks
for troops in transit through the city. It became a hospital
during the cholera epidemics of 1836 and 1837. It was also
a convenient place to go ashore since the structure had
been built with a good landing for all those grain-laden
ships that never quite showed up.
In 1846 it was turned into an infantry and
cavalry barracks and is identified on subsequent maps as
the Gran quartiere dei Granili, (Granili
Headquarters). It served as a military barracks all the way
through WWII, resisting over the years various attempts
to turn it into a warehouse for maritime supplies. The
old Granili was badly damaged by bombings in WWII and
its last service seems to have been as a shelter for
those who had been made homeless during the war. It was
demolished in 1953.
* note on the map: The map is a detail of one of the most important maps of Naples of that period. It is by Giovanni Antonio Rizzi Zannoni (1736-1814), a prominent Itaian geographer and cartographer. The section in the image is a small part of the original, which shows the entire city in great detail. The original is in the San Martino museum and is still in very good condition. It is described as an etching with the engraving by Giuseppe Guerra, also highly respected in his craft. The dimensions are 556mm x 806mm (c. 22 x 32 inches). This map and the atlas of the entire kingdom of Naples, also by Rizzi Zannoni, were important contributions to the modern mapping of the kingdom. The detail is remarkable: the granary (image, above), the new arrangement of Pizza Mercato, the Royal Gardens along the Chiaia beach, and Ferdinando Fuga's Albergo dei Poveri, accurately showing the three internal courtyards. The major fortresses--Castel Nuovo, Sant'Elmo, Carmine, the Egg Castle, are precise.