Albums, Graphics & Audio (below, after
of June 2015)
Photo Album 1
Album 2 Photo album 3
Photo Album 4
Photo Album 5
Ten mosaics in the
baptistery of San
Giovanni in fonte
Photo Album of
Classical Statuary in the Villa Comunale (18
from a series of postcards
Paintings by Selene
of Congress Photochrom images of Naples
Below, each graphic
has some short explanatory note with links to
related items in other sections of Naples: Life,
Death & Miracles.
1. modern map of the area
2. A topographical map of the Gulf
3. A graphic overview of the
area around Piazza Plebiscito
4. Historic Center of
5. The Tavola Strozzi
6. Roman Campania
7. Map of the Campiflegrei
showing geological features
8. Old Neapolis
9. German map of Naples from
10. The Lafréry map of 1566,
showing massive Spanish reconstruction.
11. From 1780, the first
archaeological reconstruction of ancient Neapolis.
12. A modern graphic of the
Old City and New City.
13. Naples 1815
14. Naples 1828
15. Old Crossroads of S.
16. comment on the
Rizzi-Zannoni map of 1790
Updated Nov 2015.
is the newest section of Naples: Life, Death &
Miracles and will be expanded
gradually. Currently (as of Aug 19, 2015), these are
the audio excerpts on this website:
- From Wagner's
overture to The Flying Dutchman at Ravello 2005.
- March of the Wooden
Soldiers at Leon
- Verdi's Sicilian Vespers and Fučík's March
of the Gladiators at Sicilian
Vespers (bottom of page).
- From A. Scarlatti's The Triumph of Honour at
- From La Cecchina, opera by Niccolò Piccinni.
Here perf. by Maria Angelis Peters.
- Alessandro Moreschi: the last Castrato, Caro Ideale, at
- I dreamt that I dwelt
in Marble Halls, perf. by Enya.
- Mattinata by R.
Leoncavallo, perf. Andrea Bocelli.
- Rossini's The Barber of Seville, signature aria on this
list of many works based on the Beaumarchais trilogy.
- Excerpt from the William Tell Overture in
the entry on Rossini.
- The King's Hymn, anthem of the Kingdom of
the Two Sicilies, at this link.
- Funiculì-Funiculà Neapolitan
Song Texts (#1), perf. by R. Murolo.
- Marechiaro (in Neapolitan Song
texts #2), perf. by R. Murolo.
- 'O sole mio (in Neapolitan
Song texts #5), perf. by R. Murolo.
- Torna a Surriento (in Neapolitan Song
texts #6), perf. by R. Murolo.
- Te voglio bene assaje (in Neapolitan Song
texts #8), perf. R. Murolo.
- Santa Lucia (in Neapolitan Song texts #9),
perf. R. Murolo.
napuletane Neapolitan Song,
perf. by R. Murolo.
- text from the Neapolitan
version of the Tempest, read by Eduardo De
- excerpt from Folk Music and
Song of Italy. A Sampler. Italian Treasury.
The Alan Lomax Collection. 1999.