Naples:life,death & Miraclecontact: Jeff Matthews

Library of Congress Photochrom lithography of Naples (1880-1900)
- via Partenope and the Egg Castle

First | Previous Picture | Next Picture | Last | Thumbnails                                    to main index      to graphics index page





(relevant link from with text)







The road, via Partenope, and all of the buildings on the left are the result of the urban renewal of the city called the risanamento and were completed in the 1890s and early 1900s. It was all built on landfill. (See that last link to compare the same area to an earlier b&w photo of the area while it was still under construction.) The road is the eastern extension of via Caracciolo (also built at the same time) and continues around past the Egg Castle to the commercial port of Naples. (There is a map showing the landfill area here.)


Copyright © 2002 to 2019