The Department of
Engineering of the modern-day University of Naples is
located in Fuorigrotta off of via Terracina and via
Marconi. The university, thus, shares land with one
of the most interesting examples in Naples of Imperial
Roman thermal baths, uncovered in 1939.
The baths were at about the halfway point between Puteoli(Pozzuoli)
and Neapolis and were undoubtedly a place to stop
and rest for a while.
The building has
many levels and was built in the first half of the
second century AD. The entire complex was built
around the frigidarium, the cold baths, and the apodyterium,
the dressing room. There was a type of central
heating system, provided for by the existence of a
double floor which allowed hot air from the ovens to
pass and circulate throughout the structure. There
are a number of mosaics showing interesting and
anthropomorphic renditions of marine life.